With the exponential advancements in modern technology, just about everything in your home is some kind of electronic gadget or appliance. Though this makes life immeasurably more convenient, it also puts your house and your family at great risk. Electrical hazards can take many forms, and if you don’t know what to look out for, you are in danger of getting severely injured. Here are some commonly missed risks encountered in the household.
If you have any appliances that can get wet, move them away from the potential source. Whether there’s a leaky faucet dripping nearby, or the device in question is simply in a splash zone, it is still an electrical hazard. When electricity is exposed to water, you can easily be electrocuted if you make contact. Incidents of this nature most commonly involve appliances such as hairdryers, radiators, and electric shavers, all of which are usually used by the bathroom sink. Also be careful not to handle anything with wet hands.
While manufacturers of electrical equipment take great care to produce safe, high quality devices, you can’t avoid wear and tear over time. Take good care of items like that hairdryer by carefully winding and securing the cord without creating sharp bends. This will prolong the life of the device and prevent tears in the insulation that expose wiring. Keep an eye out for damaged cords and replace them if found. Some of your devices won’t have visible wiring, so if you really want to be thorough, have them professionally checked the next time you call Electricians Brisbane to repair or install something.
Often devices like phone chargers and extension cords are left plugged in and switched on even when not in use. Not only is this dangerous, but it is also an unnecessary waste of power. In addition, it can damage the device if it overheats or shorts, or if there are power fluctuations. Turning the power switch off isn’t enough; you will only truly be safe if you remove the plug, which should be done carefully. Instead of pulling the cord, you should grip the plug firmly to detach it.
Electrical devices or appliances all have a lifespan. Don’t be stingy or sentimental when it comes to the use of old gadgets. Retire them when their best years are behind them, and be sure to dispose of them carefully. If there is something that isn’t very old but seems to be malfunctioning, you may be able to have it repaired or replace parts if necessary. Just don’t waste money repairing (especially if more than once) if purchasing a new one is cheaper. Besides, newer models usually look better and have upgraded features.
These are just a handful of risks to look out for, especially when you’re doing the cleaning. If you want to be really thorough, you can hire a professional to assess your home’s safety, or do a little research online yourself. There is no such thing as being too safe.